The Toilet Monster Update

I've been working on The Toilet Monster for some time now. I thought I'd share some of it with you to give you a taste. When published it would be fully illustrated, so imagine some awesome pictures with a fun-loving nature...


The Toilet Monster

Last week, my friend told me about the monster in the toilet. He said it hides when you’re going, then it attacks you when you flush! He said you have to flush and run!

“Watch out for it, Sam!” he told me. “The monster is stinky, slimy, huge, and green with ugly yellow eyes. It has big sharp teeth and hides in the pipes. It comes out right after the water whooshes!” he said. He’s four months older than me, so he must know.

I tried it out later that day. I flushed and ran away as fast as I could! The monster didn’t catch me! I figured he must be right, so every time I flushed, I ran. It worked pretty well all week.

Today I told my big brother, Anthony, about the monster and how it hides in the pipes and comes out after the whoosh. After all, I didn’t want him to be attacked!

“Have you ever seen it?” he asked.

“No!” I exclaimed, “That’s why I’m still alive!”

“Alright, calm down, Sam.” he said. “Sam, if it’s so big, then how can it fit through the pipes in the toilet?” he asked.

“Well, it shrinks to fit in the pipes, and then when it comes out to attack it gets huge again.” I said.

Then Anthony asked, “If it lives inside the toilet, how does it breathe?”

I hadn’t thought about that. I said, “I don’t know, but it must have gills like a fish, or something.”

“Before anyone told you about a monster, did one ever try to eat you after you flushed the toilet?” he asked.

I thought about it. “Well, no. Maybe he just moved into the neighborhood?” I suggested weakly.

I sighed. I wasn’t sure if there was a monster or not. I decided I needed to know. I moved closer then looked back hoping Anthony would tell me to stop, but instead, he motioned to do it. Flush the toilet. I stood in front of the toilet. I looked at the water. Maybe there wasn’t a monster, but if there was, I’d be eaten alive.



Well, there you have it! Will Sam survive the flushing?? Will his brother's name still be Anthony next week's revisions? You'll have to stay tuned to find out!

2 comments:

  1. I am intrigued. Thank you for posting the progress, writing is always so personal at first. It makes me want to get back to my blog. Also, when you say children's book, what kind? A picture book or like an Encyclopedia Brown type book? Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vincent, thank you for your comment and encouragement!

    I have been imagining this story as a picture book, but I don't know what else it could become. Unfortunately I don't recall ever reading an Encyclopedia Brown book! I just Googled them and they look super fun! I'm going to the library today, so I'll be sure to check a few out to do some enjoyable research.

    I would love to see your writing! There are seasons for priorities in our life. Maybe this is your season, maybe not, but I should go follow your blog just in case.

    ReplyDelete