Jump on the Freight Train!

I've been wanting to work toward my NaNoWriMo goal, but  I freeze up when I feel overwhelmed, and dear oh dear I feel overwhelmed! I need to melt my nerves!

I thought I had my plot lined out and my characters sorted, but it seems to be a freight train riding off without me. I'm not sure if I should take back control (which my natural tendencies dictate), or if I should just hop on and see where it goes. The latter is likely to take me to a messy, but a more interesting story, so I feel more inclined to hop on the train. It sure is hard to let go of control though! Ah!

Ok, so the plan: Refocus. Turn off the editor voice. Let go and just write, write, write. Dedicate time to it each day. I really do have so much to do during the day as a mother and homemaker. I suppose I'll be getting lots of great practice at time-management and prioritizing. As much as I would love to super scrub my floor right now, I need to realize that some things can wait until my daily or weekly quota is met. After my story is completed with over 50,000 words by the end of November, I'll have lots of material to work with to make a fantastic novel that I will be proud to show to you all!

Any other suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds exciting! Since this is your first novel I would say just go with it and worry most about getting it done. I've never written a novel but I know that when I start a project with something new, working on just getting it working and done has worked best. Once I get completely through an entire project, I then have the perspective and experience to go back and fix it or create an even more amazing product the next time. : ) Excited for the novel and the journey associated with creating it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is fabulous advice. Perspective and experience really makes a difference, doesn't it? Thank you, Mike!

    ReplyDelete